A friend happened to purchase a iPhone 3G for a decent price, and was wanting to know if it could be used on other carriers networks. I have jailbroke an iPhone 3GS but never needed to unlock it. (I just use it for pandora) Sources this seemed possible to acheive….little did I know that unlocking is a bit more difficult. There are programs to help you acheive the jailbreaking/unlocking tasks.
- Redsnow – used to unlock and jailbrake an iPhone.
- tinyUmbrella – used to show info about an iphone even if iTunes cant.
Using redsn0w I checked the box that said install Cydia. I then had to place the phone into DFU mode by:
- Press and hold the POWER and HOME button togeter for 10 seconds.
- Release the POWER button while still pressing the HOME button.
- After 15 seconds release the HOME button.
The phone should now be in DFU mode. redsnow should then continue jailbreaking the device. After that process is complete, I ran redsnow again with the “install iPad Baseband” box checked.
Once the phone rebooted, u had to install snowbreeze on the phone to enable the iPad baseband. One more reboot and 20 minutes later, the iPhone was working on tmobile’s family network.